Blog: Help spread some festive cheer
Amanda Collins from Shelter Scotland on this year’s Social Media Santa campaign
It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Or at least it will be soon. With Christmas offers starting to appear in the shops, and memes on Facebook telling us how few Fridays are left before the big day, our attention at Shelter Scotland turns once again to Social Media Santa.
Here at Shelter Scotland we work with lots of families across Scotland whose kids might not get a Christmas present this year. There’s over 4,000 kids homeless in Scotland right now.
Social Media Santa is the brainchild of our pal Ross McCulloch, Director of Third Sector Lab – a specialist digital agency working with charities and social enterprises. For the past 3 years, through the generosity of this initiative, you have managed to give a happy christmas to children across our projects in Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, Dumfries, Dundee and Renfrewshire.
If you haven’t Santa’d in previous years for Shelter Scotland and you want to, this is how it works.
- Decide how you want to support families in need this Christmas – with a physical gift or by donating money to Shelter Scotland. A £10 donation is enough for one of our expert advisers to help a family at risk of losing their home.
- Donate or buy a gift from your favourite online retailer. Add to basket, use our address at checkout (below) and add a message using the ‘gift’ option if available. (Please remember to include your details so we can send a thank you!)
- If buying in a local toy shop: send to us or drop it off at our office in Edinburgh. (Again – remember to include your details so we can thank you properly.)
- Please ensure your gift is unwrapped, so we know what each gift is and can ensure it goes to the most appropriate child.
- Share a picture of your gift or one of our graphics to let people know you are a Social Media Santa and use the #SocialMediaSanta hashtag across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to help spread the word!
- Feel festive and awesome.
Send your gift unwrapped to:
6 South Charlotte Street,
We will be accepting gifts from 16th November – which will be 5 Fridays until Christmas. Ho ho ho!
Please ensure presents reach us by Friday 11th December, to give us time to wrap and distribute them.