Forgewood and Garrion People’s reach 5,000 meals milestone
Forgewood Housing Cooperative and Garrion People’s Housing Cooperative provided their 5000th meal this week as part of their response to COVID-19.
Both Co-operatives secured more than £40,000 of additional funding to deliver a series of activities to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 within the communities of Forgewood in Motherwell and Gowkthrapple in Wishaw.
Their response covers a range of support areas including:
- Providing 600 meals each week
- Providing Emergency Food Packs or electric/gas top up
- Established a telephone befriending service and recruited volunteers to ensure sustainability
- Weekly welfare calls with regular referrals to partners, external agencies and community organisations.
- Weekly games of ‘window bingo’ within Garrion’s sheltered housing complex, a safe and creative way to provide a bit of normality.
- Creating and delivering over 150 ‘Packs of positivity’ (activity packs for adults and children) each week.
Cathy Brien, director of both Co-ops, said: “Reaching the 5,000 meal milestone has helped to soften the impact of COVID-19 on our communities. The meals along with other interventions were a much welcomed response.”
The COVID-19 response is delivered by Forgewood Housing Cooperative and Garrion People’s Housing Cooperative with funding and support from National Lottery Community Fund, Forgewood Holdings, the Scottish Communities Fund, the GOLD Group, ForgeAhead Volunteer Group, Forgewood Housing Cooperative and Garrion People’s Housing Cooperative.
- Read all of our articles relating to COVID-19 here.