Highland Council helps EU citizens to stay in the region

Highland Council has urged European residents living in the Highlands to register with the EU settlement scheme as soon as possible if they wish to remain living in the UK after Brexit.

The call was made this week by Alasdair Christie, councillor and the depute leader of the Highland Council.

He said: “We are aware in the Highland Council area, anecdotally that we have longer-term European residents who have been living in our communities for many years – sometimes decades – and we have concerns that some people do not realise that they must register with the EU settlement scheme if they wish to continue living here. The need to register applies to all people who do not have a UK passport.

“We highly value the contribution that European residents make to the economy and communities of the Highlands, they are our friends, colleagues, neighbours and in many cases family members and it is for this reason that we are trying to raise awareness so that people are not caught out and don’t miss the important deadlines that apply to them.”

EU citizens currently living in the UK will have to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 if they want to keep living in the UK after this date.

To be eligible to apply to the Settlement Scheme, EU citizens will need to show they are resident in the UK by December 2020.

Mr Christie added: “We urge anyone who does not have UK residency and wishes to remain in the UK and Highland to find out more from the following websites:



View the guide for EU citizens produced by the Scottish Government called “Supporting EU citizens to Stay in Scotland” here.

Help and advice while applying for the EU Settlement is available from Citizens Advice Scotland online, in person at the local bureau and on the phone via the Citizens Advice national helpline 0800 916 9847 which is open Monday to Friday 0900-1700.

Related posts