Housing associations make Homes for Scotland Awards 2015 shortlist
The shortlist for Scotland’s premier home building industry awards has been announced as trade body Homes for Scotland gears up for its largest ever ceremony celebrating the sector’s achievements.
Places for People has been nominated in the Best Development – large (26+ units) category for its Roman Fields development in Twechar, East Dunbartonshire while Eildon Housing Association has two chances of winning the Best Development – medium (11-25 units) category with its work in Dunwhinny Gardens in Peebles and Rodger Fish Gardens in Kelso.
Kingdom Housing Association’s Hall Park development in Largoward, East Fife is shortlisted in the same category.
Dunedin Canmore Housing and Hillcrest Housing Association will do battle in the Best Partnership in Affordable Housing Delivery category for their work on Little Road Phase 1 at Merchants Court, Edinburgh and the Sailmaker Apartments in Leith respectively, while Link Housing Association will hope to be named Best Supporting Company.
Focused on the theme of “Foundations for the Future”, this year’s awards seek to recognise the efforts which have been made in order to ensure the strongest possible platform for sustained recovery within the new build market.
Winners will be announced at the Homes for Scotland Annual Lunch (sponsored by Burness Paull) at the EICC on Friday 15 May at which Alex Neil, cabinet secretary with responsibility for housing, planning and building standards will provide the keynote address.
In addition to the listed categories, the independent judging panel, chaired by Mike Galloway, director of city development at Dundee City Council, will decide upon the winner of the prestigious Home Builder of the Year.
Continuing to recognise the individuals championing the aims of the home building industry in Scotland, the Homes for Scotland Executive Committee will consider the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement award (sponsored by Ground Developments).
Mike Galloway said: “Whilst it is clear that the sector continues to face a number of tough challenges to recovery, it is encouraging to note the wide-ranging examples of commitment to overcoming these barriers in order to achieve the collective aim of delivering enough homes in the right locations across the country.
“The judges sought to highlight those companies and individuals showcasing high levels of innovation, creativity and excellence in their approaches to the delivery of quality housing, customer care and employee benefits and I look forward to seeing the worthy winners recognised at the awards ceremony in May.”
The following companies and individuals made the judges’ first cut:
Best Employer sponsored by Archial Norr
- Barratt Homes
- Mactaggart & Mickel Homes
Employee of the Year sponsored by Clancy Docwra
- Scott Pettitt (Barratt North Scotland)
- Heather Henderson (Springfield Properties)
- Sandra Lockhart (Bett Homes)
Best Customer Service Initiative sponsored by Celotex Saint-Gobain
- Mactaggart & Mickel, Cruden & CCG (City Legacy)
- Springfield Properties
- Miller Homes
Best Development – large (26+ units) sponsored by NHBC
- CALA Homes Albert Dock, The Shore, Edinburgh
- EMA Architects & Glencairn Properties Bellevue Colonies, Edinburgh
- Places for People Roman Fields, Twechar, East Dunbartonshire
- Stewart Milne Homes Central Scotland Laird’s Gate, Stewarton
- CCG (Scotland) Anderston, Glasgow
- McTaggart Construction Laurieston, Glasgow
- Springfield Properties Duncansfield, Elgin
Best Development – medium (11-25 units) sponsored by Zoopla Property Group
- Eildon Housing Association Dunwhinny Gardens, Peebles
- Kingdom Housing Association Hall Park, Largoward, East Fife
- Springfield Properties Corstorphine Mews, Edinburgh
- Eildon Housing Association Rodger Fish Gardens, Kelso
- Mactaggart & Mickel Homes Lovers’ Loan, Dollar, Clackmannanshire
Best Development – small (up to ten units) sponsored by Allied Scotland Chartered Surveyors
- CALA Homes The Crescent, Lenzie, East Dunbartonshire
- Springfield Properties Powderhall Gate, Edinburgh
Best Home Design sponsored by Registers of Scotland
- Dandara The Beech, Beechwood Grove, Aberdeen
- Miller Homes The Heriot, Polofields, Edinburgh
- Springfield Properties Muirhouse Rowan, Edinburgh
- Merchant Homes The Gantocks, Gourock
- Robertson Homes Azure Grand, Westercraigs, Inverness
Best Partnership in Affordable Housing Delivery sponsored by Forster Roofing Specialists
- Dunedin Canmore Housing & City of Edinburgh Council Little Road Phase 1, Merchants Court, Edinburgh
- McTaggart Construction & Glasgow City Council Laurieston, Glasgow
- EDI Group & City of Edinburgh Council Greendykes C, Craigmillar, Edinburgh
- Rettie & Co, Cruden Group, Hillcrest Housing Association & City of Edinburgh Council Sailmaker Apartments, Leith, Edinburgh
Best Supporting Company sponsored by Brodies LLP
- First Mortgage
- Link Housing Association
- Forster Roofing